1 Feb 2015

Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular!

Last night was one of the most exciting nights I've ever had in my entire life! I went to the Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular!!!

For her birthday, one of my friends (let's call her Jazi) got a family pass to the concert, and she invited me and another friend along (and let's call her Lexi). For free! The tickets were so expensive, and the family pack must have cost so much! (BTW those aren't their real names, otherwise this wouldn't be anonymous)

We met at Jazi's house to get changed into our costumes (I dressed as David Tennant, the 10th doctor) and then her mum drove us to the Perth Arena. There were so many people there, which gave me a rough idea of how large the stadium would be. And loads of seats weren't sold! The organisers had to bring the prices down from about $100 to $60 per ticket to try to sell them all.

After we had collected our tickets, a Japanese woman came up to us and asked to have her picture taken with us. Lexi wasn't very dressed up so there was an awkward pause were the woman was trying to figure out how to ask her politely to not be in the photo.

Inside the arena, there were patterns of light being shone around the room (it's hard to explain)but apart from the light being blue, it wasn't related to Doctor Who at all. So Jazi and I decided that they were Headless Monks doing synchronised swimming. Soon after,  WASO (WA Symphony Orchestra) came onstage and started warming up.

Then, at 7:30pm, on comes the host, Peter Davison (the 5th doctor)! He gave us some fun facts about Perth, and then introduced the first piece. Whilst playing the music, there was a montage on the screens of episodes or monsters related to what was being played. AND, they had the monsters onstage! There were Daleks, Cybermen, Ood, Ice Warriors, the whole lot, walking along the stage and up and down the isles. Unfortunately we didn't have an isle or front row seat, but it was still incredible.

Jazi and I were expecting Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman to come onstage too, but they didn't make an appearance, even though the website said they would.

After interval, there was more music and more monsters, and the singer had changed her dress for the second half. (???) Oh, and I know the man who plays timpani for WASO; I babysit his kids.

For the last piece, they brought out the 5th doctor's coat, and gave it to the conductor to wear, which was pretty cool. We got to see the actual coat used in the show!

All in all, it was an amazing night, and I think it would be very hard to ever match it. I hope you have an amazing last day of the holidays, and I will be back soon with another post.

Lots of love, Little Robin

x

No comments:

Post a Comment